After a long sometimes cold winter, the arrival of spring brings about a sense of renewal and rejuvenation. However, for many of us, the winter months have taken a toll on our bodies, especially our spines. The cold and rainy weather can cause us to be less active and therefore deconditioned which can cause a variety of aches and pains in our back, neck, and shoulders. It's time to say goodbye to winter aches and pains and protect our spines this spring.
Here are some tips to protect your spine this spring:
1. Warm-up before any physical activity: Before engaging in any physical activity, it's essential to warm up to get your muscles ready for action. Take a few minutes to stretch your back, neck, and shoulders. A good warm-up can help prevent injuries.
2. Exercise regularly: Regular exercise can help strengthen your back and abdominal muscles, which play a crucial role in supporting your spine. Low-impact exercises like walking, swimming, and cycling are excellent choices for people with back pain.
3. Maintain a healthy weight: Excess weight can put additional stress on your spine and lead to back pain. Maintaining a healthy weight can help reduce your risk of developing back problems.
4. Practice good posture: Good posture is crucial for a healthy spine. When standing or sitting, keep your back straight and your shoulders relaxed. Avoid slouching or hunching over your computer or phone.
5. Use proper lifting techniques: When lifting heavy objects, it's essential to use proper lifting techniques to avoid straining your back. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart, bend your knees, and lift with your legs, not your back.
6. Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help keep your spine healthy. Water helps to lubricate your spinal discs and keeps your body hydrated.
7. Get regular chiropractic care: Regular chiropractic care can help keep your spine free of Subluxations, more mobile, support better posture, and enhance neural activity between the brain and the body.
Dr. Burge ~ In-Joy Life Chiropractic and Laser Care. “Feel Better, Move Better, and Look Better” www.injoylife.ca 604-535-7373